Pages

06 April 2013

Sleepover At Taumata O Te Ra

We were so excited about our return trip to Taumata O Te Ra.  Staying the night at a marae was a first for many people.  Highlights of the trip included:
  • experiencing a 'real' powhiri.
  • being able to hongi.
  • having another look at the special carvings, tukutuku and kowhaiwhai inside the whare tipuna.
  • sharing a delicious meal with the whole Senior Team, and our hosts.
  • having a chance to sketch out what we might have carved into the front of our own family whare.
  • everyone sleeping together in one massive room!
  • morning exercise - even though it was FREEZING!
  • having breakfast together - and what a fabulous breakfast it was.
  • helping to clean up.
We are looking forward to visiting Taumata O Te Ra again sometime in the future.  We would like to sincerely thank our hosts, and Mr Kereama in particular. 


 
Thank you to our Year 7 students, who were in charge of preparing lunch for our team on Friday.  They did an awesome job!
 


7 comments:

  1. The marae trip was awesome. I learnt a lot about Maoritanga!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The morning exercise was really cold! I also really enjoyed the food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was the second time I have ever been to a marae I learnt lots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Miss Simpson and Mr Kereama, for making this stay possible, we all enjoyed it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you teachers for taking us to this amazing trip that I will remember for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was the fist time I have been to the marae and I enjoyed it. It was a great time

    ReplyDelete
  7. The marae trip was a great experiance for me , because it was the first time I had ever gone and stayed over at a marae. It was great fun and the food was great.

    ReplyDelete