Pages

04 June 2013

Literature Circle


The Red Reading Group has been working their way through a wonderful book called 'A Winter's Day In 1939', by Melinda Szymanik. 

We have Literature Circles once or twice a week.  This is where we have a super in-depth discussion about all sorts of things within the text. 

Usually we have a discussion, but today we tried something a little different.  Using a site called www.titanpad.com, we had an online discussion.  Even though there were a couple of glitches with the system, it was great to be able to discuss our thoughts in a unique way. 
 
Here is the copy of the text we wrote:
 

WELCOME TO THIS VERY SPECIAL LIT CIRCLE USING TITAN PAD.  First we're going to take a look at some of the wonderful vocab using in chapter 11.  Please turn to page 119.
 
What do you think 'stand' of birch trees means?
 
I think that it means a group of something.
 
I think it means a group of trees that are near each other.
 
I think it means a big group of trees unless they have been cut down.  A group of trees standing together.
 
I think it means like a large group, or a clearing.
 
I agree, it means a group of trees.  On page 121, there are two words to discuss.  'slunk' back to the clearing and 'protruded'.  What do these words mean?  From now on, please type your initials after your messages.
 
I think protruded means poking out and coming out of something JB.  I think slunk means hunched back and quietly exited the area JB.
 
I think that the word 'slunk' means walking back, somewhat defeated.  I think that 'protruded' means the opposite of intruded like leaving. NS
 
I think that 'slunk' means walking but a bit hunched and kind of slow. I think the word 'protruded' means to stick out. OD
 
I think the word slunk means walking slowly embarrassed and a bit hunched over. I think protruded means to stick out. MA
 
I think that 'slunk' means that he was embarrassed as he came back to his father and was almost hunched over.  Protruded means like it is sticking out of something on a funny angle.  AB
 
I think that slunk means that you are slouching and walking slowly hiding in the clearing. I think protruded means it shows.  GT
 
I think that slunk means you walk hunched over, I think that protude means sticking out of something JW.
 
I think that slunk means that you are slouched and I think that protruded means that it is sticking out EB
 
I think Nelly's description of SLUNK is the best.  It also describes the way you would walk if you felt guilty.  It is not the way a proud person would walk.  Protruded means to stick out.  Well done to those who got that one right.
 
Moving on... back on page 120, why do you think that Adam left his dad's clothes in a 'tidy pile'?  What is the significance of this statement?
 
I think that since there is not much to do you find something to do such as, in this case folding clothes neatly to fill in time. NS
 
I think that it is because he is almost frightened of his father and doesn't want to anger him.  It could also be because he respects his father and wants to impress him so that he would be trusted with "the best" saw. AB
 
I think that Adam wanted to impress his Dad so he would let him help cut a tree down.
 
I think it means that he is bored and has nothing better to do. It also shows that he is trying to think about something else other than the war that is going on. It shows that even though there is a war going on that you can still can carry on with things that you do at home.  MA
 
I think it means that he is bored and has nothing to do.  It also shows he is a perfectionist.  I think that it means that Adam is sorry and feeling guilty and that he does not want to make his father any more angry than he already is. EB
 
There is not much left in these times to be grateful for so every little thing has significance.  I think that the significance of this statement is that it shows that he reallty really wants to impress his father and also it could show that there isn't much to do.  OD
 
Well done Olivia.  This is exactly right.  Life is so depressing right now... even the little things are important of trying to maintain normality.
 
How about turning to page 121.  I would like to ask why you think Adam's father reacted so strongly to his dropping of the saw.
 
I think that his father is stressed and is taking his anger out on his family/others.  NS
 
I think it is because that if the saw is damaged, Adams father would be punished by the Russian guards for damaging the saw which there might only be a few of.  AB
 
I think it is because the father is stressed and the war is getting to him, so that little things get on his nerves. I think in a way he is trying to make Adam stronger and more diciplined, so if anything happens to him Adam can run the family. It also tells you that life is so hard at the moment and every second wasted means another penny lost from their family and counts towards buying food. MA
 
Because life and survival is so hard now.  Living and trying to eat is so hard and Adams dad has so much pressure on him and he is now getting agitated easily. GT
 
I agree, the question "Do you want to eat tonight?" proves just how desperate the situation is.  MS
 
Because life now is really hard and they have to work for their money to pay for food and when Adam stopped he made them slow down and that means they will earn less money because every tree they cut down is more money and they have to cut lots of trees down to have a chance of surviving the camp.  JB

1 comment:

  1. I think Titan pad is a really fun way to do a lit circle.

    ReplyDelete