Pages

16 August 2013

An Earthquake Strikes!

At approximately 2.35pm today, we experienced an earthquake at school.  It was a fairly decent sized quake, enough make the heart beat pretty fast for sure!  Miss Simpson is extremely proud of most of us for the way we reacted - especially the Year 7's who had to make some really mature decisions on their own.  It certainly reinforces the importance of all those earthquake drills we do! 

From www.stuff.co.nz



There was a real buzz of energy after the quake, so we thought we had better write down our thoughts and feelings!  This writing was done about 15 minutes after the earthquake:

I was in the hall kitchen stacking drinks.  I was looking out the window when the blinds started moving.  I heard Miss Simpson say, “Get under a doorway”, so I ran under the pantry door.  I was so amped up and scared that it would never stop and the buildings would fall down.  I feel like I am high on energy and never want this to happen again!  ELEN.

I don’t really worry about earthquakes, they don’t frighten me, especially if they are only little.  I’m glad everything is okay for the disco and that everyone is fine.  GRACE.

I just got straight under the desk.  It wasn’t too bad because it has happened before.  We told everyone to keep calm.  We stayed under the desk till the teacher told us to get up.  TREVOR.

My heart is still beating really fast.  I feel like it is still rocking, and that we are on a boat.  That earthquake was long, scary and powerful.  HILARY.

This was my first real earthquake experience at school and I kept wondering if it was going to carry on.  TYLER.

I felt worried for my family and friends, and worried for my own safety.  GEORGE.

I was so scared during the earthquake!  The first thing I felt was a big jolt!  I looked out the window and saw the netball post shaking.  I leapt out of my chair and into safety under my desk.  It felt like I was on a boat.  The shaking did not stop.  I didn’t know what to think.  Finally the shaking stopped.  Was it safe to go out?  It was all good in the end.  I just hoped my animals would be okay.  My hands are still shaking!  JASMINE.

This was an amazing experience, because I’ve never been in an earthquake before.  At first I thought Jago was shaking my desk.  I was amazed at how much the water in the pool was moving too!  CODY.

This is the biggest earthquake I’ve ever been in.  I feel like that when I stand, I’ll fall straight over.  I feel like I can’t even write.  DANIEL.

I felt dizzy when the earthquake was happening.  I also felt scared and tingly.  I felt like the desks were going to fall over.  I wonder if there will be another one?  HANNAH.

I was making sure everyone was safe.  I got under a desk and was holding the legs.  I was waiting for a teacher to come.  I felt scared while I was waiting for the room to stop shaking.

I’m scared there is going to be another earthquake. I’m hoping my family are okay, safe and not too scared.  I keep thinking that every little movement is another earthquake and I’m thinking of all the negative possibilities and outcomes.  The pool is now a wave pool!  NELLY.

I was working when Cody said that he thought I was shaking his desk.  There was then a monumental rumbling and the floor began to sway.  It wasn’t really shaking, it felt more like being on a boat.  I thought the lights were going to fall, but I knew we were safe because we got under our desks straight away.  JAGO.

I was really shocked when I noticed how much the glowsticks were shaking in the hall.  I’m worried there will be an aftershock.  I thought the earthquake streak was over, but apparently not.  JULIET.

I feel like I can still feel the earthquake.  My legs are like jelly.  My stomach is topsy-turvy.  When it struck, I felt sea-sick, like I was back on the Inter Island Ferry.  My eyesight seems funny, is it still rocking?  I got under a doorway and Miss Simpson joined me.  The pool is still rocking.  Both pools have overflowed.  ALEX.

I felt weird, fearful, wobbly, scared and confused.  I wonder where it was centred?  How big was it?  LOGAN.

That was freaky!  I don’t like earthquakes.  Is there going to be another one?  Why has it happened a month after the others?  OLIVIA C.

I feel proud, because I told everyone to get under the desks.  I kept people safe.  This was the first time I have felt an earthquake at school.  STEFAN.

It was a really rolling earthquake and I knew it was an earthquake straight away.  During the earthquake, I wasn’t that frightened, because I knew that being frightened wouldn’t help.  I dived under a table and just sat there waiting for it to stop.  Afterwards, once we were back in class, it was kind of cool to know how it actually feels when an earthquake happens at school.  MOLLY.

Scared.  I was really scared and freaked out about the earthquake.  I think I handled it okay, even if it took me awhile to realise it was actually an earthquake and get under the desk.  I am happy the earthquake is over and that everyone is okay.  My heart is still beating fast!  TAMMY.

I was scared.  I saw the windows rattling and the lights swinging.  We all got under the desks and waited calmly until the teacher came.  VICTORIA.

2 comments:

  1. The earthquakes have been so scary and it`s hard to tell if it is going to be big or just a small one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Lots of these stories are excellent and describe exactly how I felt.

    ReplyDelete