Pages

11 March 2017

Language Features

We've been touching up our understanding of language features.  We know that using these at the right time, can make our writing MUCH better.  After the swimming sports, we had some time to practice:

Alliteration:

When that horrible horn honked, it gave me such a fright. I did an amazing belly flop, and I was off.  ALYSSA

Eagerly edging through the water, I ended my race.  HOLLY

As I haul myself out of the wavy water, I look back and see the crowd cheering.  MÁRIE


Metaphor:

I was a fish, swimming as fast as I could go in the deep, blue pool.  BEN

The pool was a whirlpool, ready to swallow me down.  BRENNA

I was a torpedo, whizzing down the pool at the speed of lightning.  FERGUS


Personification:

When I was waiting for my next race, I watched the trees dance in the howling wind. GUSSIE

My muscles were shouting at me to stop.  HAMISH

Just when the end of the pool was in sight, the water snatched me up and pushed me to the side of my lane.  JESSIE


Onomatopoeia:

The water went SPLASH as the swimmers dived, (or belly flopped), in.  HANNAH

The deafening HONK! of the horn indicated it was race time.  TOMMY

Boom! Boom! Boom! My heart was going mad in my chest.  WILLOW


Hyperbole:

I felt like I was going to die of exhaustion.  JACINTA

As I was waiting for my next race, I almost froze to death.  OLIVIA

My heart was thumping so hard, I thought it was going to jump out of my body! DANIELLE


Simile:

As I dived in the pool, I shot off like a rocket.  LOGAN

The water was as blue as the sky above our heads.  SHELBY

When I tried to dive, I fell like a rock instead.  BROOKLYN

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Room 6! There are some awesome sentences here -many of which paint a very vivid picture in my mind! Well done guys. Creativity at its finest!

    ReplyDelete