Pages

13 February 2014

A Special Visitor

Today we had a special visitor - the Mayor of the Manawatu District Council, Mayor Margaret.  We invited her along to hear her ideas about how we can be 100% awesome, and gee did she have a lot of great advice and words of wisdom!



  • A key message from Mayor Margaret was as a leader, you should not be bossy.  You should listen instead of talk.  I found it interesting to hear about how she helps so many people in the Manawatu.  Madison.
  • Mayor Margaret told us we can be whatever we want to be.  Luke.
  • Don't be lazy - having lots to do is best.  Victoria.
  • We need to make our own decisions and we should care for others.  Quaid.
  • I enjoyed listening to her opinion about the difference between patience and tolerance.  Joshua.
  • I was really surprised at how much a Mayor has to do.  She has to be patient and tolerant of people who can be very rude.  I learnt that as a leader, it is more important to give than take.  I was inspired to try a whole lot of things when I'm an adult.  Kyle.
  • Leadership is about empowering others.  After listening to Mayor Margaret, I hope I can become a better leader and role model.  Jago.
  • I am inspired to help other people.  Ffion.
  • Mayor Margaret made me feel better about myself for who I am.  She said that it is awesome to be the age we are now.  Hannah.
  • If you are powerful, you should help other people.  Olivia.
  • It was interesting when she told us you can't be a role model one minute and a stupid idiot the next.  Mayor Margaret said we should always look to the future.  Darian.
  • A leader should not be greedy with their power.  I enjoyed hearing what she had to say about her heroes and role models.  Blair.
  • I liked her explanation of how the feather in the opening scene of he 'Forrest Gump' movie represents opportunity.  We can be good leaders by listening to other peoples' ideas.  We are not always right.  Jasmine.
  • A key message for me would be to not let anyone else choose my future, because it is my decision.  Trevor.
  • You should follow your dreams and choose your future.  Jed.
  • Mayor Margaret talked about the importance of having fun and lots of laughs.  I am inspired to pay more attention and give more.  Cody.
  • You need strong values to be a leader and role model.  Always fight for what you believe in.  Mayor Margaret made me feel excited about what I could do in the future.  Sophie.
  • I enjoyed learning about Mayor Margaret's job.  Jordan.

12 comments:

  1. Mayor Margarets talk about role models and leaders was very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really interesting to hear all about what she does as Mayor and how there are so many different ways she has been able to help the community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found Mayor Margaret's speach very interesting. I got lots of really good tips and I hope I can put them into practice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mayor Margaret's talk was really interesting

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the visit from the mayor, because she told us about having a hero and how she is always busy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the advice Mayor Margaret. Wise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was awesome listening to her words of wisdom. I really want her to come back and teach us more about leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed the visit from Mayor Margaret, because she taught me a lot about leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought it was a very good idea to invite Mayor Margaret to our class. I really enjoyed listening to her speak. She inspired me heaps and made me think about what I could in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really learned a lot about being a role model and leadership from Mayor Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed hearing Mayor Margaret talk about role models. She had a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed listening to Mayor Margaret talk about great leaders like Nelsen Mandela.

    ReplyDelete