Pages

01 April 2014

Mr Tucket - Quick Writes

We tried out this new writing activity called a 'Quick Write' today.  We took a moment to consider what we could SEE, HEAR, FEEL and WONDER when we came to the end of a chapter in the book we're reading at the moment (Mr Tucket by Gary Paulsen).  We imagined we were right in the story, sitting next to Francis, the main character.  Miss Simpson says even though it is short and sweet, this is some of the best writing most of us have done in weeks!  Nice one team!


I see lots of tall wavy, bushy grass. I see the moon and the night sky.
I hear the coyotes crunching on the bones of the buck. I hear the mule and the mare chomping on the endless sea of grass.
I feel relaxed, because I have just had a full meal. I feel sleepy and calm, because I am tired and I hear no unusual sounds.
I wonder when the sea of grass will end? I wonder how long until I see my family again or if I will ever see them again.
LOGAN


I see tall grass is caving in on me, making my escape route seem  impossible. The grass looks dead and without life.
I hear the wind pushing against the grass, making the whooshing sound that is peace to my ears.
I feel lonely and the dead leaves that I put on the fire start to crumble into nothing and blow away in the wind.
I wonder if I’ll ever see my family again and if I’ll make it without Mr Grimes. 
FFION


I see the long stalks of grass and I see the smoke from the fire rising into the night sky.  The trees around me sway with the wind.
I hear the wood on the fire crackling from 20 feet away. The sound of my breath and bird calls fill my ears. The movement of the wildlife moving  in the grass is all around me.
I feel an emotion I have never felt before, since I realised I was lost, the feeling is happiness.  I am happy that I have eaten and I am happy to be alive.
I wonder if I will live to see another day. I wonder if the Pawnee will kill me during the night.

JORJA

6 comments:

  1. All of these quick writes sound awesome you guys. I can't wait to hear the ending of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Mr Tucket I really enjoyed the book. My favourite part was when Mr Grimes shot the deer at the same time that Mr Tucket did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ending of the book was awesome, I can't wait to read the second book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this book and I can't wait to read the other one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the quick writes are amazing. Well done everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this book was amazing and it really inspired me.

    ReplyDelete