Pages

01 April 2014

Red Reading Group

The Red Reading Group has just finished reading 'A Winter's Day In 1939', by Melinda Szymanik.  We all really enjoyed this book and decided to contact the author to ask some questions.  We were very lucky that she took the time to respond - thank you Melinda!



What/who inspired you to write this novel?
I was inspired by my Dad’s experience as a Polish refugee during World War 2. What an amazing story! And knowing what he’d been through and yet he was just an everyday dad. When my writing started getting published my mother (who was also a Polish refugee as a child) suggested I write my Dad’s story but I didn’t think I was a good enough writer to do it justice. Then a few years ago one of my publishers asked if I would write the story and in the end I decided to give it a try.
 
After the book was published, did you want to change anything?
I forgot to include how they were infested with fleas and lice and had their heads shaved because there was no other way to get rid of all the bugs. But otherwise I am happy with what I wrote.
 
How much of the book is fiction, how much is the real story?
The places they went and the journeys they took are all real. What happened to the sisters and mother really happened, so I consider most of the story real or based in reality. The jobs they had were all real and the living conditions too. The horses at the beginning are real but the animals later were added, including the incidence with the bear. If you have particular parts of the story you would like to know about feel free to ask me.
 
Did you have any hesitant moments, and want to keep your father’s story to yourself?
No, I wanted to honour his experience and survival by sharing it. I’m very proud of his quiet courage and determination. And I’m fascinated by this side of World War 2 which is much less known than other aspects. It seemed important to me that this story should be told
 
Did your family ever go back to Poland?  If yes, what was it like?
I have never been (although I would very much like to go) but my mum and dad and older sister and brother have been there. I think Mum and Dad enjoyed going back but Poland has changed so much since they were there as children that they didn’t want to return permanently but were happy to stay living in New Zealand. Poland has had a lot of political changes over the years so it is not the same Poland they left behind. And while some old buildings and towns survived the war other places had to be rebuilt. The part of Poland that both my mum and dad were born in is now part of the Ukraine.
 
What has been your family’s reaction to the book?
They love the book and are very happy I wrote it.
 
What was the most enjoyable part of the writing process?  How long did it take to write the book?
It took me around 18 months to write the book and after finishing the first draft I had to rewrite the whole story twice. But I’m really glad I did because the final draft was so much better. The best bit is writing The End and knowing that all the hard work has paid off and the story is what you wanted it to be.

3 comments:

  1. I loved doing this and hope we get to do it again sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the book, the ending wasn't what I expected, but it was so much fun I can't wait for the next book we start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this book. It was quite sad in some places because it was a true story. I liked the part when the bear came out of the woods, because I thought it was weird how he didn't run away from it!

    ReplyDelete